Thursday, August 16, 2012

Burn Baby Burn

This is what greeted DH and I after our Anniversary Date:

Every little fingertip has a blister. From the thumb towards the palm too. :(

My baby's first major booboo.  I wanted to cry. I wanted to raise hell as to how someone can let this happen to him.  Macu, being the malikot and makalikot toddler that he is -- touched the rice cooker.  I wasn't there, so I didn't really see what happened. They said he cried for a while. But being the trooper that he is. He shrugged it off and started running around like nothing happened.  I still feel bad every time I see it.  I am dreading the day the blisters pop off because I know those will hurt.

So what does one do when their toddler gets a burn? First of all, there are 3 different types of burn:
  • First degree burn - just the top layer of the skin is burned. Example: Sunburn. 
  • Second degree burn - involves the first two layers of skin and results in blistering. Usually happens upon contact with scalding liquid or hot surfaces.
  • Third degree burn - most serious as it involves all layers of the skin but also includes muscles and tissues.
Macu had a second degree burn. For future reference, this is what I gathered from the world wide web:
  1. Stop the heat. Place injured area under cool running water for about 20 minutes. This will halt the burning process and minimize blisters. (MIL said they did this right away)
  2. Never put ice on  the burn. It actually destroys the tissue and will make it worse.
  3. Apply First Aid medication like Neosporin to help treat the burn.
  4. Wrap the area with gauze.
  5. Give the child pain relief medication if needed. (Macu is not crying or in pain so as much as possible I try to hold off giving him pain meds)
  6. Contact your doctor. (Called the Kaiser Nurse Hotline and they asked me a bunch of questions about his disposition, etc.  The nurse advised that he is ok and just do home treatment by applying Neosporin and to watch out when the blisters pop.)
Its been four day since, and all I can say is that my baby is a trooper! The blisters popped and he did not cry or complain.  Actually, he seems to have a burst of energy that he even wants to start cleaning the house! Sige anak, pakisunod yung kwarto tsaka banyo ha!

If you knew DH, this would be really funny.  Manang mana!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment